My friend Nicole, who is a dentist in Newport, Rhode Island, suggested to me a couple of books that parents should read to their children before their first dental visit. She said "I found that parents who read these stories make a huge impact on the child's first dental visit. It makes a world of difference!" Make your dentist happy, and read these books to your children before they visit.
- Just Going to the Dentist by Mercer Mayer
- The Berenstain Bears Visit the Dentist by Stan and Jan Berenstain.
I also ran across a couple of other dentist-related kid's books on Amazon:
- Barney Goes to the Dentist
- Going to the Dentist by Anne Civardi, Michelle Bates, and Stephen Cartwright (Illustrator)
- What to Expect When You Go to the Dentist by Heidi Murkoff and Laura Rader (Illustrator).
- Show Me Your Smile! : A Visit to the Dentist (Dora the Explorer) by Christine Ricci, Robert Roper (Illustrator). Most little girls I know have gone through a Dora phase, so this one could be a hit.
Nicole also recommended a book of wonderful stories, some of which have helped to distract children during dental visits: The Adventures of Spider. I hope that you find these books useful!