In response to my list of 25 Children's Books that Adults Will Enjoy, several people wrote to me that they were particularly looking for early chapter books to read with their children. Here are some suggestions:
- Any of the Amelia Bedelia books by Peggy Parish
- The Cricket in Times Square by George Selden
- Charlie and the Chocolate Factory or Matilda by Roald Dahl
- The First Harry Potter book by J. K. Rowling.
- The Mouse and the Motorcycle or Ramona by Beverly Cleary
- Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. (You might pair this with the March of the Penguins DVD.)
- Winnie the Pooh by A. A. Milne and Ernest H. Shepard (illus.)
- The Borrowers by Mary Norton
I hope that you find these suggestions helpful. I welcome your additions and feedback! I would be particularly interested in newer books that fall into this category, as the above are mainly classics. You can use the Comments feature below, or email me.