- "Any 5 (for me, you can read more or less) books that fall into the "Scary New World" category. Interpret this as you like, but be prepared to defend questionable choices.
- They do not have to be books you've never read, but they should be books you haven't read in a long time. For example, I read Brave New World in 10th grade (1989), but will likely choose it again for this.
- The challenge begins now and ends November 6th.(I thought Nov. 4, 2008 would be appropriate, but decided that a year and a half might be a little long for this.) You may join at any point in the challenge."
As regular readers to this site will know, I'm addicted to dystopian books, so I was unable to resist this challenge. It's a bit tough for me because I've read so many of the books in the genre. But here is what I came up with:
- Among the Free by Margaret Peterson Haddix (the last book that I have to read in this series).
- Z is for Zachariah by Robert C. O'Brien (mentioned by several people in the comments of my earlier post, and a sad omission on my part).
- The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood (a re-read). Interesting side note about this book: they filmed parts of it at Duke, where I went for undergrad, during my senior year.