And the winners of last week's book give-away, for five copies of Piper Reed: The Great Gypsy by Kimberly Willis Holt, are:
I'll email you all, but in case you don't get the message, please email me with your mailing address. I will pass it along to the publisher, Henry Holt, so that they can send you the book. Congratulations on winning the book! I hope that you all like it.
Thank you to everyone who submitted responses to my bonus questions. I'm sorry that you all couldn't win. Here are the books that people mentioned as having that classic middle grade fiction feeling (Please note that these are not recomendations from me - several are books that I haven't read - where I've reviewed a title, I linked to my review):
- The Penderwicks and The Penderwicks on Gardam Street by Jeanne Birdsall (these were a HUGE favorite in this discussion)
- Toys Go Out by Emily Jenkins (illustrated by Paul Zelinsky)
- The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo
- Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters by Lesley M. M. Blume
- Frankie, the Walk 'N Roll Dog by Barbara Techel
- Anastasia Krupnik by Lois Lowry
- The Get Rich Club and The Homework Machine by Dan Gutman
- No Talking by Andrew Clements
- The Casson Family series by Hilary McKay (starting with Saffy's Angel)
- The Mysterious Benedict Society and the sequel by Trenton Lee Stewart
- The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan (starting with The Lightning Thief)
- Much Ado about Anne by Heather Vogel Frederick
- Into the Wild by Sarah Beth Durst
- Ophie out of Oz by Kathleen O'Dell
- Dairy Queen and The Off Season by Catherine Gilbert Murdock
And here are people's favorite Melendy family members:
- Randy (the most popular choice)
Poor Rush and Father, no one seemed to bond with them. But personally, I loved them all. And Mrs. Oliphant, too.
Thanks for playing!