"Read with your kids everyday sounds simple. But for lots of reasons, it doesn't always happen. Sometimes reading sounds like just another thing on a To-Do list that is already overbooked.
We understand. It happens to us, too.
All this week, people passionate about books and reading will explore some of the challenges that can get in the way of that daily dose of reading. We're not going to quote studies or print lists of statistics. We're not even going to tell you that you have to read with your child.
Instead, we're going to introduce you to resources and share specific, do-able activities that can help you make reading "just" a regular part of your daily life. Share a Story - Shape a Future is an event to offer tried-and-true ideas for promote reading as a life-long skill. So let's get started ..."
And it's a great start, I can tell you that! Here are direct links to today's fabulous posts. They are all well worth reading in full!
- It Starts with Raising Readers - Terry Doherty @ The Reading Tub
- Finding Time at Home - Tricia Stohr-Hunt @ The Miss Rumphius Effect
- Making Time in the Classroom for Read Alouds - Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- Look for the Clues: Tips and Tricks to Help a Remedial Reader - Sandra Stiles guest post on Scrub-a-Dub-Tub
- It’s Bigger than the Book: Building Strong Readers at any Age with a Daily Dose of Read Aloud, an Interview with Cathy Miller
- Minding the Gap: Engagine Gifted Readers - Donalyn Miller @ The Book Whisperer
- Also, don't miss a slide show displaying the week's book giveaways
I also chimed in with: A Public Information Campaign for Read-Aloud (where I would greatly appreciate your feedback).
If you'd like to chime in, today or any other day, the Share a Story - Shape a Future team would love to hear from you. You can comment on any of the posts, and/or write a post yourself. Terry says: "If you put up a post related to the day's theme, be sure to include that link in your comment at the host's blog. Periodically throughout the day, I will be updating my post at Scrub-a-Dub-Tub with those additional links, just like we do for Nonfiction Monday and Poetry Friday."
Share a Story - Shape a Future image created by Elizabeth Dulemba.