Welcome to Day 2 of the Share a Story - Shape a Future literacy blog tour, focused on helping parents and teachers to recommending reading material for kids. Today's host is teacher Sarah Mulhern from The Reading Zone. Here's a snippet from Sarah's introduction for today:
"As Terry said yesterday, it all starts with raising readers. By surrounding children with text and stories, we are helping them blossom into the readers they can and should be. So maybe yesterday you decided to set aside some time every day or so to read with your children. But now you are overwhelmed - where do you begin? How do you find books to read? How do you know what books your child will enjoy sharing with you? Today’s bloggers have fantastic ideas and suggestions for selecting reading material for different age groups."
Here's today's schedule, with links (links borrowed from The Reading Tub, where Terry Doherty is keeping up with everything that's going on):
- Sarah’s Host Post: Selecting Reading Material
- Eeny, Meeny, Miny, May- Which Book Do I Choose Today? The ABCs of Reading: Infants, Toddlers & Preschoolers - Valerie Baartz on The Almost Librarian
- How to Help Emerging Readers - Anastasia Suen @ 5 Great Books
- I Don’t Know What I Want to Read Next: Helping Middle Grade Readers - Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- Booklists and Read-Alikes - Sarah Mulhern @ The Reading Zone
- Using Non-fiction for Read-Aloud - Mary Lee Hahn of A Year of Reading, hosted by the Stenhouse blog
Other Share a Story-Shape a Future News
- Eva Mitnick has announced her Favorite Library Contest. Either send her an email with a pic of your favorite library, or leave a comment with the answer to “My favorite library is __ because ….” Eva is giving away books for the winners. You can see all of the Share a Story - Shape a Future book giveaways here.
- The Book Chook has a lovely post on 20 ways to incorporate literacy into your children's lives. This is a guest post from Valerie Baartz, The Almost Librarian.
- Day 3's topic is Reading Aloud. Because of the time difference, Susan Stephenson has already kicked off Day 3 at The Book Chook (in Australia). Check out this post with fourteen fantastic hints on reading aloud from Mem Fox. And stay tuned for more tomorrow.
- (Updated to add) Today's theme inspired this post by children's librarian Marge Loch-Wouters at Tiny Tips for Library Fun about the role of children's librarians in leading kids and parents to books.
- See also MotherReader's contribution to day 1 (a raising readers anecdote) and day 2 (a list of recommended picture books).
In addition to direct links to the posts for today, Sarah has included a special section on her host post with additional resources for selecting reading material. She'll be filling in additional suggestions as they come through during the day. So head on over to check out this excellent resource, and share your thoughts!
Image credit: Author/illustrator Elizabeth Dulemba created the Share a Story - Shape a Future logo at the top of the post. Susan Stephenson, The Book Chook, created the image in the preceding paragraph.