The 2011 Share a Story - Shape a Future literacy blog tour is taking place this week. This year's overall theme is Unwrapping the Gift of Literacy. Different aspects of this theme will be discussed each day:
- Monday: The Power of a Book - From the literal power of owning a book and a good story to the intangible power that comes with knowing how to read.
- Tuesday: The Gift of Reading - Whether you're looking for a book to excite a reader, want to help someone learn to read or celebrate the "gift" ... it's covered.
- Wednesday: Unwrapping Literacy 2.0 - With all of the talk of digital literacy, e-readers, etc. What does "literacy" look like in this new century?
- Thursday: Love of Reading v. Homework - Do they have to be at odds? We'll talk about ways to help readers at home and at school.
- Friday: The Gift that Keeps on Giving - To wrap up the week we'll be remembering "that moment" when we realized we were a reader or writer and how to celebrate it with others. Lots(!) of interviews this day.
This year's events include a podcast interview between Katie Davis and SAS founder/champion Terry Doherty, an original story by Mrs. P, and a roundtable discussion on multiculturalism in children's books. There will also be daily writing prompts and prizes! This year's generous donors include Barefoot Books, MrsP.com, Elizabeth Dulemba, and Reading is Fundamental.
I haven't been able to participate as much in Share a Story this year as in previous years (nearly 1 year old now, Baby Bookworm is quite a handful!). But I will have a post up tomorrow about giving the gift of reading to new parents. And I'll be spreading the word throughout the week, here and on Twitter, as much as I can.
I do hope you'll stop by and check out the 2011 Share a Story - Shape a Future celebration of reading and literacy. Terry and her amazing team of organizers and contributors have assembled a simply glorious collection of resources. Stay tuned...