Today I will be sending out the new issue of the Growing Bookworms email newsletter. (If you would like to subscribe, you can find a sign-up form here.) The Growing Bookworms newsletter contains content from my blog focused on children's and young adult books and raising readers. There are 1489 subscribers. Currently I am sending the newsletter out once every two weeks.
Newsletter Update: In this issue I have six book reviews (one picture book, two middle grade and three YA). I also have one children's literacy roundup (published in more detail at Rasco from RIF), and a post about my experience with the Kindle vs. iBooks eBook apps on my iPad. I also had two posts not included in this newsletter:
- An announcement about the opening of the Cybils nominations.
- An announcement about my reinstatement as an Amazon affiiliate (after a conflict between Amazon and CA was resolved).
Reading Update: Since the last newsletter, I finished only three books, one middle grade, one YA, and one adult (as well as various picture books and board books read for the Cybils and/or read aloud to Baby Bookworm, see the latter here, here, here, and here):
- Chris Moriarty: The Inquisitor's Apprentice. Harcourt. Completed October 2, 2011. I thought that this book was well-written, and I know that a lot of people loved it, but it just didn't grab me, and I won't be reviewing it. Instead, I'll send you to The Book Aunt's review.
- Veronica Roth: Divergent. Katherine Tegan Books. Completed October 4, 2011, on Kindle app for iPad. This one I loved, but as I purchased it instead of receiving it as a review copy, and as it has already been heavily recommended all around the Kidlitosphere, I'm not going to review it, either. I will be keeping an eye out for the next book in the series, though.
- Louise Penney: A Trick of the Light (A Chief Inspector Gamache Novel). Minotaur Books. Completed October 1, 2011, on MP3. This adult mystery series just keeps getting better and better. I ike it when a series does that (unlike some that get dull).
I'm currently listening to Lee Child's latest Reacher novel, The Affair, on my MP3 player, and also listening to Gabrielle Zevin's All These Things I've Done on CD in my car. I'm currently reading Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone in print, and Lisa McMann's The Unwanteds on my iPad. I was reading Maggie Stiefvater's The Scorpio Races, but I hadn't gotten very far when my husband appropriated it. Since I have plenty of other books to choose from, I decided to start that one over again when he finishes.
How about you? What have you been reading and enjoying? Thanks for reading the newsletter, and for growing bookworms.
© 2011 by Jennifer Robinson of Jen Robinson's Book Page. All rights reserved.