Today I will be sending out the new issue of the Growing Bookworms email newsletter. (If you would like to subscribe, you can find a sign-up form here.) The Growing Bookworms newsletter contains content from my blog focused on children's and young adult books and raising readers. There are 1461 subscribers. Currently I am sending the newsletter out once every two weeks.
Newsletter Update: I decided in light of people being busy around the holidays to make this a brief issue. I have just one book review, of a YA title. I also have one children's literacy roundup, a post about my six year blog anniversary (this past Saturday), and a movie announcement for Laini Taylor's Daughter of Smoke and Bone.
I also posted seven reviews of Cybils-nominated picture books in the past two weeks. I have NOT included the full reviews in the newsletter, because I thought that they would collectively make the newsletter a bit too long. However, here are the links to the Cybils reviews (with more to come over the next month):
- Sophie Blackall: Are You Awake?
- Carolyn Crimi (ill. David Roberts): Dear Tabby
- Katie Davis and Jerry Davis: Little Chicken's Big Day
- Edward Gibbs: I Spy with My Little Eye
- Stephen Krensky (ill. Joe Morse): Play Ball, Jackie!
- Mark Teague: LaRue Across America: Postcards from the Vacation
- Jacqueline Woodson: Pecan Pie Baby
Reading Update: Since the last newsletter, I must sadly admit that I didn't finish any books (quite possibly for the first time since starting this newsletter). I stopped reading one book that wasn't working for me, and started another, but much of my reading time was taken up with the final push to read Cybils picture books. I did, of course, continue to read picture books and board books aloud to Baby Bookworm. See those: here, here, here, and here. And I hope to get more reading time in over the holidays.
I'm still listening to Rick Riordan's Son of Neptune on my MP3 player, and to Return to Gone-Away by Elizabeth Enright in the car with Baby Bookworm. I'm currently reading Little Women and Me by Lauren Baratz-Logsted.
- David Carter: One Red Dot: A Pop-Up Book for Children of All Ages. This absolutely gorgeous book came to us as a gift from RIF - BB loves it, but I had to put it away, because it's a bit too fragile for her right now.
- DK Publishing: Bathtime (Baby Touch & Feel). This was a gift that we received as a favor at a birthday party. We "read" it over and over again.
- Susan B. Katz (ill. Alicia Padron): ABC Baby Me
How about you? What have you and your kids been reading and enjoying? Thanks for reading the newsletter, and for growing bookworms. I wish you all a wonderful holiday! The Growing Bookworms Newsletter will be back after New Year's.
© 2011 by Jennifer Robinson of Jen Robinson's Book Page. All rights reserved.