Today I will be sending out the new issue of the Growing Bookworms email newsletter. (If you would like to subscribe, you can find a sign-up form here.) The Growing Bookworms newsletter contains content from my blog focused on children's and young adult books and raising readers. There are 1617 subscribers. Currently I am sending the newsletter out once every three weeks.
Newsletter Update: In this issue I have nine book reviews (six picture books, one middle grade, and two YA), one children's literacy roundup, and one post with quick hit news items. Because there are so many reviews, I am not including my two Twitter links posts in the newsletter. You can find them here and here. I also had a post announcing the opening of Cybils nominations, but since nominations closed Monday, that post is no longer relevant. You can view the Cybils nominations here (in the first sidebar to the right, listed by genre).
Reading Update: In the past 3 weeks, I finished five books for young adults, and one for adults. Turns out that vacations WITH a 1/2 year old are not so great for reading. But I read:
- Maggie Stiefvater: The Raven Boys. Scholastic. Young Adult. Completed September 27, 2012. My review.
- C.K. Kelly Martin: Yesterday. Random House. Young Adult. Completed September 30, 2012. My review.
- E. Lockhart: Dramarama. Hyperion. Young Adult. Completed October 5, 2012, on Kindle from library.
- Josh Berk: Guy Langman: Crime Scene Procrastinator. Knopf. Young Adult. Completed October 10, 2012, on Kindle from library.
- Elizabeth George: The Edge of Nowhere. Viking Juvenile. Young Adult. Completed October 15, 2012, Kindle purchase.
- Ada Madison: The Probability of Murder (Professor Sophie Knowles). Berkley. Adult. Completed October 13, 2012. This is the second in this academic cozy series about a math professor at a small Massachusetts college. I liked the setting and characters, but the mystery wasn't particularly compelling.
I also continued to read picture books and board books aloud to Baby Bookworm. I haven't been able to keep up with the number of books read (TypePad support has really let me down by not fixing a 2 month old problem with sidebar booklists). But I can tell you that while we were on vacation, we read Just Say Boo! by Susan Hood and Jed Henry, Imogene's Antlers by David Small, I Want My Hat Back by Jon Klassen, and Hug by Jez Alborough over and over and over again. Her new favorite is Big Girl Panties by Fran Manushkin and Valeria Petrone.
As for me, I'm reading Flutter by Gina Linko. I'm still listening to A Wanted Man, the latest Jack Reacher novel from Lee Child. How about you? What have you and your kids been reading and enjoying? Thanks for reading the newsletter, and for growing bookworms.
© 2012 by Jennifer Robinson of Jen Robinson's Book Page. All rights reserved.