Today I will be sending out a new issue of the Growing Bookworms email newsletter. (If you would like to subscribe, you can find a sign-up form here.) The Growing Bookworms newsletter contains content from my blog focused on children's and young adult books and raising readers. I currenty send the newsletter out every two weeks.
Newsletter Update: In this issue I have six book reviews (picture book to adult), two posts with links that I shared on Twitter recently, and a post about the upcoming start of Cybils book award season. I also have a post about putting a toast rack full of books on the kitchen table, to encourage my daughter to read more.
Reading Update: In the last two weeks I read five middle grade books, two young adult books, and one adult reference book. I read:
- Gordon Korman: The Hypnotists (Book 2): The Memory Maze. Scholastic. Middle Grade. Completed July 31, 2014. My review (with review of Book 1).
- Jennifer L. Holm, Matthew Holm, Jarrett Krosoczka, et. al: Comics Squad: Recess!. Random House. Early Middle Grade. Completed July 31, 2014. My review.
- Rose Webb: Rose and the Lost Princess. Sourcebooks Jabberwocky. Middle Grade. Completed August 3, 2014, on Kindle. Review to come.
- J. K. Rowling: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. Scholastic. Middle Grade. Completed August 5, 204, on MP3.
- Dana Alison Levy: The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher. Delacorte Books for Young Readers. Middle Grade. Completed August 7, 2014. Review to come.
- D.J. MacHale: Storm (The SYLO Chronicles, Book 2). Razorbill. Middle School. Completed August 3, 2014, on Kindle. Review to come.
- Dan Wells: Ruins (Partials Sequence). Balzer + Bray. Young Adult. Completed August 11, 2014, on Kindle. Here is my review of the first Partials book. In classic trilogy fashion, I loved the first book and was lukewarm on the second. I found this, the third book, a hint disjointed (rotating between scenes of geographically disconnected characters), but I still enjoyed it, and found it a satisfying end to the series.
- Kelly Jensen: It Happens: A Guide to Contemporary Realistic Fiction for the YA Reader. VOYA Press. Adult Nonfiction. Completed August 6, 2014. My review.
I'm currently reading The Magic Half by Annie Barrows. I'm listening to Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. As always, you can see the list of books that we've been reading to Baby Bookworm here.
What are you and your family reading these days? Thanks for reading the newsletter, and for growing bookworms.