I've been on vacation, and haven't had a lot of time for posting. However, here are links to some recent news articles about children's books and children's literacy efforts.
- Recent children's books listed by the Inside Bay Area online paper. This article lists a number of new books that caught my eye, especially The Art of Reading, in which 40 well-known children's book illustrators each share memories of a book that shaped their development.
- An article about a parenting and early literacy home visit program in Medford, MA. The quote at the beginning of the article, taken from program evaluations by parents, said "I like the way the program reminds me to read and play with my child." I like any program that reminds people to read with their children. This article was published in the online version of the Medford Transcript.
- The best children's books of the year. This is a great article that has a short description of each of 10 picture books, recommended by the author's two young girls. The first sentence of the article is "The best Hanukkah gift is a book." The article was published in the Forward Newspaper, a weekly Jewish community publication distributed in New York.
- Parents and children can fuel a mutual fondness for reading. This article is about how parents can foster a love of reading in their children by reading aloud to their children beginning at a very early age. It contains some recent statistics from a survey by a children's book publisher (Publications International). This article was published in the San Bernadino County Sun.
- Writer Inspires Kids to Read. This story is about an Alberta writer, Jacqueline Guest, who visited Lacombe, and met with children. Her mission is to spark interest in reading. My favorite quotation in the article is when Ms. Guest said: "I want to make books the coolest thing in the world." I share her mission, and think that you should read about her. This article was published in the Lacombe Globe, in Lacombe, Alberta, Canada.
Happy Reading, and Happy New Year! -- Jen