August 10, 2006
Kelly over at Big A little a borrowed this book meme, and requested that the kidlitosphere respond. Here are my answers:
1. One book that changed your life?
Atlas Shrugged, by Ayn Rand.
2. One book you have read more than once?
I re-read Pride and Prejudice every couple of years. But I've re-read many, many children's books from my childhood, most recently The Four-Story Mistake, by Elizabeth Enright.
3. One book you would want on a desert island?
I'll have to go with Pride and Prejudice here, too.
4. One book that made you laugh?
So many choices... Most recently, Happy Kid! Also RULES by Cynthia Lord.
5. One book that made you cry?
Most recently, Yellow Star, by Jennifer Roy. I also always cry at the end of Anne of Green Gables.
6. One book you wish had been written?
I can't really think of anything here. But I do wish that Harry Potter 7 would be published soon.
7. One book you wish had never been written?
Kiss the Girls, by James Patterson. It's a serial killer/predator novel set at Duke, where I did my undergrad degree. While I couldn't help finishing it (because it was compelling), it made my skin crawl. I did really like Patterson's Maximum Ride, however, so I'm not holding it against him.
8. One book you are currently reading?
Happy Kid! by Gail Gauthier. I'm also about to read Wizards at War by Diane Duane.
9. One book you have been meaning to read?
The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud.
10. Now tag 5 people.
Oh, I think that everyone has been virtually tagged by Kelly already. But if you do decide to play, drop a note in the comments.
UPDATE: This meme has really taken off among the kidlitosphere. You can find a pretty comprehensive list of posts at Big A little a. A couple that I ran across that I didn't see on Kelly's list can be found at:
- Original Content (Gail Gauthier's blog); and
- What Adrienne Thinks About That