So the other day I responded to MotherReader's call for book recommendations. She asked for top picks from 2006, so far, in various categories. I put my picks out there (though I'm sure that they'll change as I keep reading for the next 3 1/2 months).
But the thing is, I also enjoyed many books this year that were published in 2005. And in fact, I made a mistake on my original list and included a book from 2005, only to have to remove it when I realized my error. This, naturally, made the author sad. So I've decided to make a list of my top picks from the 2005 books that I read this year. Here they are, by age range:
- Gregor And The Curse Of The Warmbloods (Underland Chronicles) by Suzanne Collins. My review.
- The Penderwicks : A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy by Jeanne Birdsall. My review.
- Pond Scum by Alan Silberberg. My review.
- Charlie Bone And The Castle Of Mirrors by Jenny Nimmo.
- The Sisters Grimm: The Unusual Suspects - Book #2 by Michael Buckley. My review.
- Down the Rabbit Hole : An Echo Falls Mystery (Echo Falls) by Peter Abrahms. My review.
- The Extraordinary Adventures of Alfred Kropp by Rick Yancey. My review.
- Inkspell by Cornelia Funke.
- Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief - Book One by Rick Riordan. My review.
- Wizards at War by Diane Duane. My review.
- Elsewhere by Gabrielle Zevin. My review.
- I, Coriander by Sally Gardner. My review.
- A Room on Lorelei Street by Mary Pearson. My review.
- Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. My review.
- Uglies by Scott Westerfeld. My review.
As with my 2006 list, this list is highly subjective. And since I didn't start my blog until the end of 2005, I'm sure that there are books that I completely missed out on reading. But these are all books that stood out for me, out of the 2005 publications that I've read. I highly recommend them all. Happy reading!
© 2009 by Jennifer Robinson of Jen Robinson's Book Page. All rights reserved.