Cybils Young Adult Fiction Nominations
November 21, 2006
These are the books that were nominated in the Young Adult Fiction category for the 2006 Cybils Awards. Note that some suggested books have been moved to other categories, at the discretion of the committees. We have also removed any titles not published in 2006, and titles that were not published for young adults. These are the nominations that remain. If you don't see a book that you nominated, check the Middle Grade or Fantasy/Science Fiction lists at the Cybils site, or feel free to email me if you have a question. Many thanks to everyone who contributed to this list!
I have also included links to recent reviews (written since the Cybils process started) by the young adult committee members. Their names are listed at the end of this post.
Note that clicking through Amazon links on the titles below and making a purchase will cause a slight commission to be paid to the Cybils organization (not to me personally). Thanks for your support!
Young Adult Fiction Nominees
- Abundance of Katherines, An by John Green. Dutton Juvenile. Reviews by Sara and Jackie.
- Accidents of Nature by Harriet McBryde Johnson. Henry Holt. Review by TadMack.
- Adios to My Old Life by Caridad Ferrer. MTV Press. Reviews by TadMack and Mindy.
- After the Wreck, I Picked Myself Up, Spread My Wings, and Flew Away by Joyce Carol Oates. HarperTeen.
- Alice in the Know by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor. Atheneum. Review by Jackie.
- Angel's Choice by Lauren Baratz-Logsted. Simon Pulse. Reviews by TadMack and Sara.
- Angelmonster by Veronica Bennett. Candlewick. Review by Mindy.
- Astonishing Adventures of Fanboy and Goth Girl, The by Barry Lyga. Houghton Mifflin.
- Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Vol. 1: The Pox Party by M.T. Anderson. Candlewick. Reviews by Jackie and TadMack.
- Bad Boy Can Be Good for a Girl, A by Tanya Lee Stone. Wendy Lamb Books. Reviews by Mindy and Jackie.
- Bad Kitty by Michele Jaffe. HarperCollins.
- Beast by Ally Kennen. Push (Scholastic).
- Becoming Chloe by Catherine Ryan Hyde. Knopf.
- Between Mom and Jo by Julie Ann Peters. Little, Brown Young Readers.
- Blind Faith by Ellen Wittlinger. Simon & Schuster.
- Book Thief, The by Markus Zusak. Knopf. Review by Liz.
- Born to Rock by Gordan Korman. Hyperion. Review by Tasha.
- Boy Book, The: A Study of Habits and Behaviors, Plus Techniques for Taming Them by E. Lockhart. Delacorte Books for Young Readers. Reviews by TadMack, Sara, and Jackie.
- Boy in the Striped Pajamas, The by John Boyne. David Fickling Books.
- Braid, The by Helen Frost. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Brief Chapter in My Impossible Life, A by Dana Reinhardt. Wendy Lamb Books. Reviews by Little Willow and Mindy.
- Christopher Killer, The by Alane Ferguson. Viking Juvenile.
- Dairy Queen by Catherine Murdock. Houghton Mifflin. Reviews by Tasha, Jackie and Sara.
- Dirty Liar by Brian James. Push (Scholastic). Review by TadMack.
- Enthusiasm by Polly Shulman. Putnam Juvenile. Reviews by TadMack and Jackie.
- Estrella's Quinceanera by Malin Alegria. Simon & Schuster.
- Eva Underground by Dandi Daley Mackall. Harcourt. Reviews by Mindy and Jackie.
- Extraordinary Adventures of Horatio Lyle, The by Catherine Webb. ATOM.
- Fringe Girl by Valerie Frankel. NAL Trade. Reviews by TadMack and Mindy.
- Going Under by Kathe Koje. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- Goy Crazy by Melissa Schorr. Hyperion.
- Grist by Heather Waldorf. Red Deer Press.
- Hattie Big Sky by Kirby Larson. Delacorte Books for Young Readers. Reviews by TadMack, Leila, Mindy, and Jen.
- Hollywood Sisters: Backstage Pass by Mary Wilcox. Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
- How It's Done by Christine Kole MacLean. Flux. Reviews by Little Willow and Leila.
- How to Be Popular by Meg Cabot. HarperTeen. Review by Jackie.
- I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You by Ally Carter. Hyperion. Reviews by TadMack, Jackie and Sara.
- Incantation by Alice Hoffman. Little, Brown Young Readers. Reviews by TadMack, Sara and Tasha.
- In the Garage by Alma Fullerton. Red Deer Press.
- It's Kind of a Funny Story: A Novel by Ned Vizzini. Miramax. Review by Tasha.
- Just In Case by Meg Rosoff. Wendy Lamb Books. Reviews by TadMack and Jackie.
- Just Listen by Sarah Dessen. Viking Juvenile.
- King Dork by Frank Portman. Delacorte Books for Young Readers.
- Koyal Dark, Mango Sweet by Kashmira Sheth. Hyperion.
- Lorenzo and the Turncoat by Lila Guzman and Rick Guzman. Arte Público Press (Piñata Books).
- Love Curse of the Rumbaughs, The by Jack Gantos. Farrar, Straus and Giroux. Review by Liz.
- Loving Will Shakespeare by Carolyn Meyer. Harcourt Children's Books. Review by TadMack, Jackie, and Mindy.
- More Confessions of a Hollywood Starlet by Lola Douglas. Razorbill.
- Murder Of Bindy Mackenzie, The by Jaclyn Moriarty. Arthur A. Levine Books. Reviews by Mindy and Jackie.
- Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan. Knopf. Review by Sara.
- Notes From The Midnight Driver by Jordan Sonnenblick. Scholastic. Review by TadMack.
- Nothing But the Truth (and a Few White Lies) by Justina Chen Headley. Little, Brown Young Readers. Review by Mindy and Jackie.
- Ophelia by Lisa Klein. Bloomsbury.
- Over a Thousand Hills I Walk With You by Hanna Jansen. Carolrhoda Books.
- Paranoid Park by Blake Nelson. Viking Juvenile. Review by Mindy.
- Plenty Porter by Brandon Noonan. Amulet.
- Private by Kate Brian. Simon Pulse.
- Pursuit of Happiness, The by Tara Altebrando. MTV Press. Review by TadMack
- Queen of Cool, The by Cecil Castellucci. Candlewick. Review by Jackie.
- Rash by Pete Hautman. Simon & Schuster.
- Real Question, The by Adrian Fogelin. Peachtree.
- Returnable Girl by Pamela Lowell. Marshall Cavendish Children's Books. Review by Mindy.
- Rules of Survival, The by Nancy Werlin. Dial. Reviews by Tasha, Leila, Jackie, and Mindy.
- Runaway by Wendelin Van Draanen. Knopf Books for Young Readers.
- Samurai Shortstop by Alan M. Gratz. Dial.
- Simply Divine by Jacquelin Thomas. Pocket Books.
- Skin by Adrienne Maria Vrettos. Margaret K. McElderry. Review by Tasha.
- Sold by Patricia McCormick. Hyperion. Reviews by TadMack, Tasha, and Jen.
- Stay With Me by Garret Freymann-Weyr. Houghton Mifflin. Review by TadMack.
- Tallulah Falls by Christine Fletcher. Bloomsbury.
- This Is All by Aidan Chambers. Amulet. Review by Sara.
- This Time, Last Year by Kitt Raser Kelleher. Authorhouse.
- Traitor by Gudrun Pausewang. Carolrhoda Books.
- Trigger by Susan Vaught. Bloomsbury.
- True and Faithful Narrative, A by Katherine Sturtevant. Farrar, Straus and Giroux.
- TTFN by Lauren Myracle. Amulet. Review by Mindy.
- Unresolved, The by T. K. Welsh. Dutton Children's Books. Review by Patty.
- Viking Warrior by Judson Roberts. HarperCollins
- Waiting for Eugene by Sallie Lowenstein. Lion Stone Books.
- Wish House, The by Celia Rees. Candlewick. Review by TadMack.
My profound thanks to the publishers listed above, most of whom have generously donated review copies to our committee, and thus helped the Cybils to get off the ground and move forward. One of the commitee members, TadMack, has labeled the days that review copies arrive "St. Cybils Days".
Listed below are the brave committee members who will be first whittling this list down the FIVE (the nominating committee's job) and then selecting a winner (the judging committee's job). Many thanks for all of their work so far, and all of their work to come!
- Jackie (interactivereader)
- Little Willow (Bildungsroman)
- Mindy (propernoun.net)
- Sara (Sara's Hold Shelf)
- TadMack (Finding Wonderland and Readers' Rants)
- Leila (bookshelves of doom)
- Liz (A Chair, A Fireplace, and a Tea Cozy)
- Nancy (Journey Woman)
- Patty (It's All About the Book)
- Tasha (Kids Lit)