Growing Bookworms Newsletter: June 23
June 23, 2009
Tonight I will be sending out the new issue of the Growing Bookworms email newsletter. (If you would like to subscribe, you can find a sign-up form here.) The Growing Bookworms newsletter contains content from my blog focused on children's books and raising readers. There are currently 804 subscribers.
Newsletter Update: In this issue, I have two book reviews, two posts with Kidlitosphere news, two children's literacy round-ups (one here and one at The Reading Tub). I also have an installment of my recurring Reviews that Made Me Want the Book feature, and two announcements about books previously reviewed that are now available. And finally, I have two related posts about kids reading ahead of their grade levels (with another post on this topic over at Booklights). Not included in the newsletter, I have:
- A post at Booklights about the way that "social reading" can sometimes inspire young readers
- An announcement about the President's inclusion of reading with children as a push in this summer's United We Serve community service initiative.
- A post about my recent experience in joining Twitter (@JensBookPage).
Reading Update: In the past two weeks I read:
- Sarah Prineas: The Magic Thief. HarperCollins. Completed June 18, 2009.
- Tanita S. Davis: Mare's War. Knopf Books for Young Readers. Completed June 10, 2009.
- Stephen King: The Stand. Signet. Completed June 17, 2009. (A re-read of an old favorite.)
- I also read more than 40 picture books, some of which I'll be reviewing on the blog in the coming weeks.
I'm currently reading Hunger by Michael Grant (the sequel to Gone). Several other titles have made it into my house lately that I'm simply dying to read. Which I think is going to work out, because I've done something unfortunate to my wrist, and I think I need to take it a bit easy on the computer this week. How about you? What have you been reading and enjoying? Thanks for reading, and for growing bookworms!