Today is Drop Everything and Read Day
April 12, 2013
Today is Drop Everything and Read Day (D.E.A.R. Day), celebrated every year on April 12th in honor of Beverly Cleary's birthday. D.E.A.R. is "a national month-long celebration of reading designed to remind folks of all ages to make reading a priority activity in their lives."
How will you make reading a priority today? You could:
- Spend some time reading aloud with your child after breakfast.
- Play hooky in the afternoon by sitting outside with your own book.
- Read a book instead of reading email and Facebook on your cell phone while you wait for an appointment.
- Volunteer to read to your child's class.
- Take your child to a bookstore or the library after school.
- Forego television in the evening, so that you'll have more time for reading books.
Those are just a few thoughts. I'm sure you can come up with others that fit your family's situation.
Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary! Thanks for encouraging people to Drop Everything and Read.
D.E.A.R. sponsors include:
- National Education Association (NEA)
- National Parent Teacher Association (PTA)
- Association for Library Service to Children (ALSC), a division of the American Library Association
- Reading Rockets
- General Federation of Women’s Clubs (GFWC)
- Newspaper Association of America Foundation (NAA)
- First Book
- Read Kiddo Read
- Walden Media
- HarperCollins Children’s Books